Re: BIND server not recursing

Mark Haney wrote:
Seann Clark wrote:
Mark Haney wrote:
I've got a BIND server (it's a slave, but that shouldn't matter) that
refuses to recurse even though recursion is set to yes.

I am going to ACL recursion if I can get the recursion to actually work,
but so far it's not playing nice.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

What is the output to the named.log? Should give you an idea on what the
server is doing.

~Seann

Well that's part of the problem, I'm not getting any output that tells
me why I'm getting ';; WARNING: recursion requested but not available'
in any query that needs recursion.

If you add into your bind /etc/named.conf file:
logging {
       channel "query_log" {
       file "/var/log/dns/named.query"
                    versions unlimited
                    size 90m;
            severity info;
            print-category no;
            print-severity yes;
            print-time yes;
    };
           category "queries" {
                 "query_log";
            };
       channel "transfer" {
               file "/var/log/dns/named.xfer"
                       versions unlimited
                       size 90m;
               severity info;
               print-category no;
               print-severity yes;
               print-time yes;
       };
       category "xfer-out" {
               "transfer";
       };
       channel "update" {
               file "/var/log/dns/named.update"
                       versions unlimited
                       size 90m;
               severity info;
               print-category no;
               print-severity yes;
               print-time yes;
       };
       category "update" {
               "update";
       };

      channel "default" {
            file "/var/log/dns/named.log"
                 versions unlimited
                    size 90m;
            severity info;
            print-category no;
            print-severity yes;
            print-time yes;
    };
       category "default" {
               "default";
 };
    channel lame-servers_file {
        file "/var/log/dns/lame-servers.log" versions 3 size 30m;
        severity dynamic;
        print-time yes;
    };
    category lame-servers {
        lame-servers_file;
    };
};

That should give you plenty of logging to see what Bind is barfing on. Note that if you are running chroot'ed, then this may be in /var/named/chroot/var/log/dns/ (as it is configured in the example I posted). The big ones to watch are named.log and query.log in the case of the posted config.

~Seann