Re: service

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:06 +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:

>> > yum-update ?
>> >
>> It is not running !
>> Another thing, are the lock managed ?
>> Many times if I make a rpm -qa
>> and I interrupt it, then their is a lock and I have to restart the
>> machine.
>> How can I manage thsi.
>>
>> Thank
> Why don't you just remove the lock under /var/lock/

Caution removing a lock risks corruption to that which the lock is
designed to protect.

What I suspect is that the default desktop is doing
the normal yum download.  On a new machine that
a new users is working on this download can take
much longer than a new user might expect.

On F10 new installs this lock will commonly be visible should
a user try a yum update by hand.   The lock file will commonly
contain the PID of the process that set the lock.  If the PID is
the desktop doing an update for you in the background, let it.

With F10 I have taken to doing updated in layers because the
pile of updates is just too large.   Something like:
     yum update yum
     yum update [a-e]*
     yum update l*
     yum update [v-zX]*