Re: What is the fedora way of setting a kernel module to load at boot time?

Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The title prity much says it all.
> What i want to do is add a certain module at the fedora boot time.
> Mainly one of the fb modules and i want to use them in the grub boot
> line. For example: uvesafb, vesafb, intelfb to name a few.
> I either want to use there fb options in the grub line or in the place
> where i load the module.
>
> The point is that other distros have a /etc/modprobe.conf or a
> /etc/modules.conf but i can only find a blacklist file in
> /etc/modprobe.d along with a few others.

Fedora will use /etc/modprobe.conf if there is one. Or you can
create a file in /etc/modprobe.d. You should probably take a look at
the modprobe.conf man page.

> I want to append something like this:
> video=intelfb:mode=800x600-32@75,accel,hwcursor,vram=8
> Or in a modprobe line: modprobe intelfb mode=800x600-32@75 vram=8
> accel=1 hwcursor=1
> Source: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/fb/intelfb.txt
>
> And something i just noticed.. Why are all the *fb modules blacklisted
> in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file?

This way, they do not load automaticly - you have to configure the
one you want to load the one you want.

One thing to keep in mind is that the module is not going to get
loaded until the root file system gets mounted. If you need the
module loaded before that, you can include it in the initrd. You
would list it in /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd. (I don't remember the
exact format.)

Mikkel