Re: Software RAID 5 or something else?

>> 1)  Bite the bullet and get the hardware RAID controller.  Will this give
>> me the performance I want?
>
> That depends on the rest of the system - you get to play "move the
bottleneck". It will then depend on your PCI-X controller, your memory
bandwidth and if you have the CPU 8). The 3ware is at least a real
hardware driven RAID, most ATA 'RAID' is BIOS/driver RAID so just
software RAID with a disguise kit.

I should have given a little more information about my system:

Motherboard:  M2N-SLI DELUXE
Memory: 800Mhz

cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
cpu MHz         : 3013.840

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      4060920 kB
MemFree:       2154220 kB

I only have 1 PCI-E 16x and 1 PCI-E 4x free.  Everything else is just
plain old PCI...

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.