Re: F10, NetworkManager, and intermittent dns -- Update

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:41:39, McGuffey, David C. wrote:

> A couple of weeks back I did a fresh install of F10, blowing away F7.
> Got F10 up and running, did an update and then converted to static IP
> addressing.  Everything went downhill from there.  Could only get on the
> network about 1 out of 10 attempts. This is on a wired network.
>
> Did some research and discovered on an Ubuntu forum a recommendation to
> pin the MAC address to an IP address in the dhcpd configuration of the
> IPS firewall/switch device, and then go back to dynamic addressing.
>
> Did that, and did a complete fresh install of F10 with dynamic
> addressing...
>
> ... after a while, the box starts getting dns errors (failure to resolve
> address).  It is intermittent...
>
> I finally discovered a pattern... if either of those users let the
> screensaver kick off, dns disappears for all users until a reboot...

Update: Intermittent dns is still present.  Have been able to overcome it by restarting NetworkManager every time dns dies.  Problem begins when the screensaver kicks in, or the system is idle for a while. I set the screen saver for 2 hours, and after about 15 minutes of inactivity, dns dies.  Restarting NM gets it going again.

I'm going to put the restart command in sudo so everyone on the box can restart it...but this is a poor solution to what used to be a very stable service.

Red Hat...if you are listening, don't allow NM to get into your productized server loads!!!! Not everything walks, talks, or quacks like a laptop. The old stable approach is "good enough" for every customer I have on my books.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD
Save a Tree...Unless necessary don't print this e-mail