Re: Fedora 10 installation on Sony Notebook VGNFW235J

On 22 Jan 2009 at 10:48, Phil Meyer wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:48:32 -0700
From:           	Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: Fedora 10 installation on Sony Notebook
VGNFW235J

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > Have a strange issue trying to install Fedora 10 on a students new Sony
> > Notebook. The initial  install process has the screen going to a weird gray
> > screen after the cd process, so the gui process would not work. Then tried it
> > with a text install, and the process went thru completely, but on boot only
> > came up with a text login. Startx would give the same gray screen....
> >
> > I was able to copy an xorg.conf file from a machine with vesa setup, and this
> > time startx did come up, but it never did the startup process that is normal.
> >
> > Is there some option or something that needs to be done to get a good install
> > on the Sony notebook??
> >

> Installing in text mode causes anaconda to ASSUME that you want to start
> in run mode 3 (no X).
>
> edit /etc/inittab and set the default run level to 5

Thanks for the reply. After the install it had booted up what normally is the
first boot screen where you create a user and go thru the options. This just
gave the grayish screen. Restarted in text mode, and tried startx, but same
grayish screen. Then saw there was no xorg.conf file at all, so copied an
xorg.conf from a machine using vesa. Then ran startx and goes directly to
desktop, and seems to be OK. I'll have to check the level, and see if it comes
up with the login screen on the boot.

Is there perhaps a startup kernel option that could allow for a regular gui
installation on this Sony? I had a different issue with a Sony about 1 year
ago, with Fedora 8, and it had a kernel option that got around the issue, but
couldn't find something related to this one. Other students notebooks have
installed Fedora with no problems, but this is a brand new higher end one,
and has VISTA as its default OS.

Thanks again.

> Good Luck!
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,242,245.1140 | EINSTEIN 2,272,099.9809 | ROSETTA
758,297.4831