Re: Ideal Swap Partition Size

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 12:39 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:49:34 -0800 (PST)
> Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Regarding swap files and intel architectures.  I believe swapping is not by pages, but by segment sizes, which is gruesome, because of performance.
>
> Linux always pages - it doesn't use intel segmentation - in fact nobody
> post 286 era does.

Well now that I committed myself , I have question for you Alan,,
because I know you know the real answer.

Normally, when we talk about VM OSs we discuss a memory space and an
address space. VM is supposed to be mapping pages or segments from the
address space to the memory space and reverse. I was surprised at your
saying that segmentation is not being used in Linux. If it is paging
that is being used where is the address space that the pages reside in.