Re: source RPMs and updating

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 22:30 -0500, brian wrote:
> I've built my own Postfix package from SRPM and have recently updated
> it. To do so, I used the newer SRPM and repeated the process.
>
> But, I'm wondering if, once a package has been built, can it be updated
> using a pre-built RPM without losing the specs used to build the
> original? Or, will the newer RPM simply override everything according to
> how it was built?
>
> Just to clarify, the original built-from-source package was:
> postfix-2.5.1-1.sasl2.spf.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> I downloaded a newer SRPM, built and installed:
> postfix-2.5.6-1.sasl2.spf.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> But, could I have simply done:
>
> rpm -Uvh postfix-2.5.6-1.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> ... and had rpm take care to install in the same manner as was the
> original SRPM?
----
you asked...

> Or, will the newer RPM simply override everything according to
> how it was built?

I believe the answer here is yes. If you were to install the pre-built binaries, the features included are only the ones in the spec file used by the packager who built it.

by the way...Fedora 8 will no longer receive any updates which means that security updates will bypass you.

It's time to upgrade the whole system.

Craig