From: Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ideal Swap Partition Size
To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 8:49 PM

Regarding swap files and intel architectures.  I believe swapping is not by pages, but by segment sizes, which is gruesome, because of performance.

On other architectures, swap is actually a paging file and only the needed pages are swapped out.

Even with a swap out, the program could still be in memory as the space was not reclaimed and thus, the program should not have to be swapped back in to be used.