RE: Package Manager Denies Permission to Install

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I don't think you need to patch gnome-packagekit, just fixing PolicyKit
> would do it. You'll still get the nag-dialog, but that's still part of
> the design.

You mean the PolicyKit password dialog? Indeed, the patch does not give out
blanket permissions to root, it only removes the useless special-casing of
root. But blanket permissions for the relevant actions can be given out to
root (or any other user, by the way, so this hint is useful even without
patching PolicyKit) through polkit-gnome-authorization. It's a bit of a
PITA because AFAICT it has to be done separately for every single
PackageKit permission, but it is possible. (Disclaimer: Of course that
means anything, even malicious software, running as the user you gave
blanket permissions to can also touch your packages. Root can do it anyway,
through RPM directly, but it's something to keep in mind when giving out
blanket permissions to regular users. This is also why "keep authorization"
is not allowed for "dangerous" actions, though that can also be changed
through polkit-gnome-authorization. I'm sure you (Richard) know all this,
but other readers might not, so I'm saving you the work of replying. ;-) )

        Kevin Kofler