How to diagnose spontaneous reboots?

Ordinarily, I'd say that this sort of thing is hardware related, and although I will be trying memtest for a while over the weekend, I'm suspicious that this has only started happening immediately after I upgraded from Fedora 8 to Fedora 10.

I'm running 'nuvexport', which is a script that pulls in MythV recordings and spits out normalised video files; in this case, an XVID AVI using (I think) ffmpeg. Several minutes into the run, the PC just ups and reboots. This has now happened twice, and has never before.

I will also be trying the run from init level 1 just to make sure nothing else running might be affecting it.

But the question is: if there *is* a bug (kernel?) that's letting a user-mode process reboot the machine, how to track it?

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature