Re: updateing ARGHH.

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 15:05 -0500, Michael Comperchio wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:55 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
From: Michael Comperchio <mcmprch@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: updateing ARGHH.

Ok so here's what 'yum' thinks...
 > > ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.52.20080908.fc10.i386 : Libraries for ffmpeg
 > > Repo        : installed
 > > Matched from:
 > > Other       : Provides-match: libavcodec.so.51
 >I'm just not the sharpest tool in the shed I guess 'cuz I'm stumped....

I've been ARGGHH'd too. Try a 'rpm --force install ffmpeglibs...rpm' etc.

This is effectively a re-install of the rpm *and* updates the meta-data.
(And doesn't attempt, like 'yum remove', to remove every package which depends upon the one being (re)installed,
----
no wonder you like to run GUI as root...

It may be common practice for you to use --force or --nodeps in your own
package management but it's a whole 'nuther thing to recommend your bad
habits to others who might be less skilled or eager to try to repair a
damaged set of packages.

It was clear that the OP installed rpm's from Axel Thimm's repository
but does not have it configured so it can't update. The choice is left
to OP to either remove the packages he got from the other repository and
replace them with the packages from rpm-fusion or add atrpms and disable
rpm-fusion repos. Either way, he doesn't need to do something as drastic
or potentially as damaging as '--force'

Craig

Now this makes a little more sense. I errr....overlooked the part about protecting the repositories... so I did in fact have both repositories active, so must have screwed my own pooch, and, as usual, the pooch bit back. I have removed the atrpms from yum repo list, and run that little protection script (listed here: http://www.fedoraguide.info/index.php?title=Main_Page#Repositories). Now the question becomes how to know which packages came from which, and how to specifically uninstall them?
----
I thought you were getting some direction from Michael Schwendt and I
wouldn't even think about trying to out do his advice where repos are
concerned.

Rather than have me guess, would you please tell us the output of...

(command line as root)

yum repolist

For your question, it's not always clear where the packages came from
since there's no official way to do that (not that there haven't been
proposals for that).

For your adherence to the fedoraguide.info - that's not official but
probably a lot of good information there. It does appear though that by
removing atrpms and installing something like protect-base plugin, you
have changed the rules which is causing problems with updates that you
are now experiencing.

I would suspect that rather than changing the rules or the yum repos
that you have configured, it probably would be easier to remove and then
re-install some packages but I am not certain which is why I think
giving us the output of 'yum repolist' would be useful.

Craig

Well... I removed completely

xine-lib-extras-freeworld k3b-extras-freeworld gstreamer-ffmpeg

this allowed the yum update to complete. At this point I still had the atrpms	 being included. Once someone suggested suggested that I probably have conflicting repos I revisited the atrpms repo and removed it. But I'm now not able to reinstall the above packages. I'm not really hip to what all the different packages do, so can't decide if I'm really missing something :) But, like all good geeks, I'd like to not leave this issue unresolved. So...
[Michael@merlin ~]$ yum repolist
Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
repo id                                     repo name                                                      status
adobe-linux-i386                            Adobe Systems Incorporated                                     enabled:     17
fedora                                      Fedora 10 - i386                                               enabled: 11,416
google                                      Google - i386                                                  enabled:      2
rpmfusion-free                              RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free                                enabled:    324
rpmfusion-free-updates                      RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Free - Updates                      enabled:    256
rpmfusion-nonfree                           RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree                             enabled:    142
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                   RPM Fusion for Fedora 10 - Nonfree - Updates                   enabled:    154
updates                                     Fedora 10 - i386 - Updates                                     enabled:  2,694
repolist: 15,005
[Michael@merlin ~]$
I do appreciate the help guys, this kind of support from the user community is a BIG reason to keep using Linux, and Fedora. Now if only I could remember /figure out how to have unique backgrounds on my different workspaces.

Thanks again
Michael