Re: Internal IDE DVD Burner

Rick Stevens wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:
Gene Poole wrote:

I think I've run into a bad DVD burner/reader and maybe someone can help. At home I've got 5-internal DVD burners and at work I have 1-external DVD burner at my disposal. Of these 6-burners I'm pretty sure I know the brand names of most (2-Sony; 1-HP; 1-eMachine; 1-Pioneer; 1-LiteOn) based upon the machines they are in. I know the Sony's are the same even though 1 is internal and the other external. The burner I seem to be have the problem with is the Pioneer. It doesn't seem to process a Fedora 9 x86_64 or CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installation DVD - even if the thing was burned on it! All of the blank DVDs are +R and I use Verbatim, HP, Imation, and TDK. Currently the machine that houses the Pioneer is the only x86_64 machine I have, so I have no way to test on another machine. The only install DVD that is working is Fedora 8 and Fedora 10. I want to install CentOS 5 as it's the most like the Red Hat 5.1 I support at work and I want to run Oracle on my machine. How can I verify a x86_64 install DVD on a non-x86_64 machine (I've done the md5sum and sha1sum process at DVD creation time)? Is it because I've burned a x86_64 DVD on a i386 machine causing me a problem? Should I just try -R DVDs? Should I lower the burn speed? Is the phantom of the DVD haunting me? TIA,
Gene

I had a problem with burning DVD's and it turned out to be the power supply. The voltage was at the lower limit as measured with a volt meter but when burning DVD's would go below the required voltage. It was a pretty new power supply. A new drive didn't fix the problem.

The BIOS and sensor both said the supply was within spec but using a Fluke showed otherwise.

The sensors and BIOS can only check the motherboard power, not the power
at the drives.  The +12VDC at the mobo usually comes from a different
regulator in the power supply than the +12VDC on the drive connectors
(good thing, too).  As Robin says, nothing beats a good DVM when
debugging flakey stuff.

Actually, the sensors which are on the mother board can only tell the correct voltage if they are accurate. In my case, the sensors were reading +5.4V when the DVM was telling me +4.7 at the mother board connector.

Reading through the sensors setup I found that the sensors are not accurate. I was not impressed in this day and age. If I had not had issues with a new DVD burner I would never had checked the voltages because the BIOS reading was giving me a green light.

I should compare my new system to the sensors reading.

--
Robin Laing