Re: life without system-config-display

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:11 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> I have had to use xorg.conf, simply because Fedora10 drivers do not
> adequately support ATI video cards. With the livna ati drivers, I am
> still unable to run compiz.  And also, the settings for dynamic
> xorg.conf were woefully inadequate, leaving out important sweep
> frequencies.  Somehow though, the xorg.conf that is created with
> UBUNTU excels with the use of my monitor and with that distribution
> Compiz works for me.  It is almost 3 months into the Fedora10
> distribution and still, hardly any progress for the ATI driver set.
>
> Do we ask ATI to develop the drivers, or do we pray for help to the
> user community?
>
> (I can and do live without compiz, but it is nice to have to show to
> those XP/Vista biggots
----
boy that yahoo sends out some lousy e-mail...

You don't mention which version of Ubuntu but I gather that it uses the
'old' version of xorg which would account for the disparity between
Fedora and Ubuntu - at least in my mind.

ATI proprietary drivers are not the province of open source developers
and Fedora does not package or recommend their use. Perhaps you are
getting them directly from ATI or from livna/rpm-fusion but not Fedora.

As for wanting compiz to show off to Windows users...feh

Craig