Re: How to find out where grub is installed?

On 1/18/09, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I forget the exact wording, but the installer has an option for
> where to install Grub. If you are using a separate /boot partition
> for this install, tell it to install Grub there. If not, tell it to
> install Grub on the / partition. (This is controlling where the
> stage 1 loader is installed.)

I do have a separate /boot partition; but if grub is installed _only_
there, how does another instance of grub get installed in the MBR? I
think I need that one to chainload either the new or the old Fedora's
grub. Or do you mean that the old grub is already installed in the
MBR, and will chainload the new grub or boot the old Fedora?

> If you did not install Grub, then you can run grub-install and
> specify the "install_device" as the /boot or root partition. For
> example:
>
> grub-install /dev/sda5

I'd like to keep this option as a last resort because grub's docs
say:

"*Caution:* This procedure is definitely less safe, because there are
several ways in which your computer can become unbootable."

Also, I'm not sure whether I need the --root-directory option of
grub-install. Or only if I install in the MBR. I'm rather confused, as
you can see...

Andras