Re: F9 & F10: Add/Remove Software program leaves behind a running process that cannot be stopped.

Craig White wrote:
>> Apologies, I was not able to receive email responses to my
>> email server, hence lost of thread...  Something seems to
>> be wrong with my email server, if anyone spots a problem,
>> with my email server, please let me know what you see?
>>
>> I fired off a message to administrator of this mailing list
>> asking for a resolution as to why I am not receiving emails
>> from fedora-list.  The odd thing is, that I forgot my password
>> to fedora-list and fired off password request and "immediately"
>> received it - via my email server - perhaps a different mechanism?
>> Hmm...

>> ====================
>> You said that the `waiting for other tasks' eventually went
>> away, and I left mine on - and it never went away for a looong
>> time - so how long did you have to wait?  Seems that for both
>> F9 & F10, the problem persists (and it's annoying), and it hangs
>> around for an hour before I gave up and rebooted.
>>
>> But what is particularly bad, is that I cannot make any more
>> selections nor move to another group category in "Add/Remove
>> Software" because that and any other requests are added to the
>> Yum-backend queue, whereas `Waiting for other tasks" is first
>> line line in the queue waiting to be completed, and it never finishes.
>>
>you could get a cli and as root, kill off any yum process that is
>seemingly hung and then try a yum update from cli.
>
>I suspect that there's something on your system that is causing yum to
>hang.

It does not seem to be related to yum, because I can run yum at the cli
with no problems.  Here's the thing - there are no yum processes running
at all (that I can see via `ps' as root)! It does not seem to be tied into yum,
but some process via "Add/Remove Software", or so it seems.  There does
not seem to be any processes that I can see that puts the package icon into
the Task Notification area, at least, I cannot locate "it" via `ps' as root.

Also - I am running a fresh-install of F10 on another computer - I added
nothing else during F10 LiveCD and after a reboot, I believe I did however
get an update request, and I let it fly. The problem seemed to appear when
used the "Add/Remove Software" afterwards.  What are the odds of installing
from "Add/Remove Software", only Thunderbird, would cause this issue?

FWIW,
Dan