Re: Total newcomer trrying to set up wireless

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 18:30 +0000, David Henig wrote:
> Hi all, I recently built my first Linux system, figuring it was time
> to give Linux a try after years and years with Windows (and many more
> besides in years gone by, including Unix).
>

> It's not going well I'm afraid... I connect to the internet using a
> Buffalo Wireless G adaptor, but having plugged this in I have no idea
> whether it's properly recognised (it is listed in the network utility)
> nor how to make it work with the selected network. Is there a step by
> step process to making a wireless device work?
If the AP you are connecting to appears on the list in you click on it,
chhose the AP security being used (WEP, WPA, etc) and a window opens up
to put in appropriate passwds. Then you should become connected once you
click Connect in the GUI.

> After that I'll need to set up a network attached printer. Should I
> give up now?

Printers use cups. Use system-config-printer and configure it or
go to the web interface: localhost:631 and configure the printer.