Re: squid help for F7?

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 10:16 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I'd like to run squid on my F7 setup

Fedora 7 is very old, very outdated, and so is any software pre-packaged
for it.  If it has bugs, and it probably does, they won't be fixed.
This is especially important for security related bugs.  And anything
web browser related is a big target for such things.

> am getting an error every time I try to start the service. The logfile
> shows the output below (repeatedly)
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE16): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.009 seconds = 0.004 user + 0.005 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 9
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please
> set 'visible_hostname'
>
> I would quite happily set visible_hostname but don't know how or where. Ideas?

There's a big problem here.  Firstly, it shouldn't have any problems
working out its hostname.  You need to sort out your network, first.
Not only will Squid need to know who he is, but any browsers on your LAN
will have to be able to address it, somehow.

Whether you do that by diddling with your /etc/hosts files, or running a
DNS server is up to you.  But if you're going to run a web proxy, then
also running a DNS server is probably a good idea, too.

Setting a visible hostname in the server configuration isn't hard to do.
Just open the /etc/squid/squid.conf file in a text editor, and search
for the word "visible".

But again, this shouldn't really be necessary, if you have name
resolution working well, unless you have several different hostnames
that can be used for your computer, and you want to set Squid to use a
particular one.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686