Re: shrinking NTFS partitions on Windows laptop

On Thursday 15 January 2009 20:01:07 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 19:38 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > No need for a separate parted/gparted with Fedora.  The installer has
> > > a built-in resizing spinner for NTFS file systems, built on the same
> > > modern NTFS utilities, so you can just resize it down and continue
> > > partitioning.  The resizing and partition writing gets done after
> > > you've set things up the way you like.
> >
> > I'm not saying anything against gparted or any other such tool, but my
> > natural caution says use a windows tool to do the windows bit and a linux
> > tool to do the linux stuff.  That method has never let me down :-)
>
> ----
> I think I stopped buying updates to Partition Magic at version 8 but
> regardless...
>
> parted/gparted is a terrific open source application and I trust it
> implicitly. Worse yet, if you run with a proprietary application and it
> somehow does fail, they just say oops and you contribute little to the
> community. If I have problems with the open source tools, I can give
> feedback with the hope that I contribute to the knowledge and code
> base.

Yes, it very much depends on your circumstances as to whether that's an
option.  It's a while since I did this, but ISTR using windows itself to
repartition - or was that when I repartitioned a W2K disk?

> Myself, I have little usage for dual-boot

Sadly I can't actually get rid of windows until I can get an Aladdin/hasp
dongle to work with linux.  My embroidery machine needs software that will
only run with the dongle attached.

> and probably should just nuke
> the Windows but it's a big disk - unlike the Sony PictureBook C1x that
> it's replacing where I did nuke the Windows partition ultimately to make
> all 4 GB of the disk available to Linux. All-in-all though, I got a lot
> of miles out of the Sony PictureBook which at the time, was a very
> expensive little guy.
>
> Curious note from today...apparently the Acer Aspire netbooks are
> significantly changing the map...
> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/14/apples_share_of_us_pc_market_
>slips_to_8_at_hands_of_acer.html
>
> and apparently it's possible to install Mac OS X on the thing...
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10142638-37.html
>
> not that I have any interest in that.

Nor I, for myself.  But interesting, all the same

Anne