Re: mount question

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 09:18 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 14:33 +0000, Steve wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll try changing the type from fuse to ntfs tonight and see what that does. The error message of "permission denied" leads me to think that this will not solve the problem but hey, I've been wrong before...1982 I think it was... ;-D
> >>
> >> I have to say though that I am really suprised that nobody on this list can give a simple answer to the seemingly simple question of "how do I change the mount point of a hard drive".
> > ----
> > Say what? Linux didn't have the ability to read/write to ntfs
> > filesystems before udev so there's something wrong with your premise.
>
> Not true.  The ntfs module could be compiled with write abilities in
> RH9.  It wasn't _reliable_ but it was there, and it didn't use udev.
> udev really doesn't have anything to do with filesystems other than
> potentially triggering a mount command.
----
you're right...the ability to mount ntfs r/w was indeed available way
back but the admonitions were clear that by doing so would likely damage
the filesystem. That sort of made a non-option.

I agree with the OP that it probably should mount an internal IDE drive
somewhere other than /media but I suspect that he originally mounted it
as a user and that's where it appears.

The man pages for ntfs-3g and if needed, http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html
should be all he needs to get it to mount where his heart desires.

Craig