Re: mount question

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 16:23 +0000, Steve wrote:
> If I let HAL & friends automagically mount my Windows partition mount reports this:
>
> # mount
> /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
>
> The problem is that I want this partition mounted on /mnt/c_drive not
> /media/disk so I tried to add a line to /etc/fstab as follows:
>
> /dev/sdb1    /mnt/c_drive       fuse    rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096
> 0 0
>
> (I started with a type of fuseblk instead of fuse but that didn't work at all
> and note that fuse is not documented in the mount man page)
>
> but then as root
> # mount /dev/sdb1
> /bin/sh: /dev/sdb1: Permission denied
>
> # ls -l /dev/sdb1
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2009-01-12 13:24 /dev/sdb1
>
> It's not a selinux problem because I'm running in permissive mode:
> # sestatus
> SELinux status:                 enabled
> SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> Current mode:                   permissive
> Mode from config file:          permissive
> Policy version:                 23
> Policy from config file:        targeted
>
> This is on an F8 system and I'm trying to get my backup to work so I can upgrade
> to F9.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?
----
perhaps you are just trying to use too much muscle

why not just let it mount like it does and use a bind mount elsewhere...

mount --bind /media/disk /mnt/c_drive

Craig
Hi Steve,
I think that this issue has been discussed in prior releases of  Fedora....you can scan the archives for more detailed information.  If my memory serves me correctly, I think that the initial part of fstab for static devices is preserved and you should put your entries there.  The non-static devices are added/appended to the end of fstab and upon reboot and any entries added to that portion will be "flushed."
When mounting windows partitions in prior installs of Fedora I would put them immediately after the "logvol" entries and thereafter had no problems.  This should work for you with FC8.  I hope that this is of some assistance to you.  Regarding fuse partitions I am sorry that I have no experience to offer to you in this area.
Fennix