Re: whoisd for Fedora?

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 02:34 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> jwhois-4.0-8.fc9.i386 for F9
>> That's a whois client, not a whoisd (whois server).
>>

> That isw true, but it uses a whois server that is unversally avalable.
> So why is a private local one needed.

The local one is needed because we are a non-profit Internet provider in
NC.  We have 8K+ IP addresses allocated to us and when we run low on IP
space ARIN requires us to have a whois server documenting the IPs we've
allocated and to whom they are allocated.

I appreciate all the replies, I'm going to try to package the latest
rwhoisd in an RPM (for management's sake).  If that gets to be too time
consuming, I'll compile from source directly.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support