(SOLVED) Re: sanDisk sansa View (16G mp3 & video player) issues

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 08:55:53 Mark Haney wrote:
> Kevin Kempter wrote:
> > Hi all;
> >
> > I bought a sanDisk sansa view (16G model).  When I plug it into my Fedora
> > 16 (x86_64) box and do a dmesg I see this:
> >
> > usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> > usb 2-2: configuration #128 chosen from 1 choice
> > usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0781, idProduct=74b0
> > usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> > usb 2-2: Product: Sansa View
> > usb 2-2: Manufacturer: SanDisk
> > usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 03534453443136478010790e6b00893f00000000
> > Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> > scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> > usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
> > USB Mass Storage support registered.
> > usb-storage: device found at 3
> > usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> > usb-storage: device scan complete
> > usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> > usb 2-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> > usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 3
> > scsi 6:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
> >

> > Any thoughts on how to correct or should I return it for something else?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
>
> I have one of these and it took me a bit to figure out the problem. The
> problem is the device can't be configured for MTP mode from the menu.
> To get it to be seen by the system you need to:
>
> power it on.
> turn on HOLD
> on the wheel hold the left side down as you connect it to the system.
>
> That will put it in MTP mode and let the system see it as a normal USB
> flash drive.
>

> --
> Frustra laborant quotquot se calculationibus fatigant pro inventione
> quadraturae circuli
>
> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Thanks everyone for the input. Here's the deal; on this model you  need to go
to the system settings menu and set the USB mode to MSC as opposed to 'auto'

After I did this I can connect the device, KDE auto-detects it and I can drag
& drop music, videos, pics, etc and it picks 'em up.