Re: fedora 9 and an nvidia 7200gs video card

Don Raikes wrote:
Thanks for this info:
Unfortunately, once I installed the rpmfusion yum configuration files, and search for the kmod-nvidia package as indicated on the howto page, I didn't find any packages.
Oh well I also discovered that it helps to make sure the card itself is firmly seated in the pci slot. I opened the case up again this morning and made sure it was seated firmly, and reran /sbin/lspci and this time it showed the nvidia geforce 72 card :-)
I manually edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the driver from radeon to vesa and now I can at least get into gnome using startx.
As I mentioned earlier you will not be able to run 3D appls (no OpenGL or very slow) and no desktop effects The vesa driver is a generic driver that works for all vesa compliant cards, which means 99.99% of the cards on normal pc's or laptops

Wouldn't it be just better to use the rpmfusion packaged ones. And I
even remember there have been mentioned on this list that the driver
directly from nvidia can break things in your system.
<snip>
I have never had problems with rpmfusion drivers except that they
usually update for the new kernel day or two later than it's out for
fedora, but I have been able to live with that. And as extra benefit you
can just uninstall them with yum when there is some problems.
As stated by previously, I always run into problems with kmod packages (maybe they do not like me?), they never install properly and end up killing my system Anyway I have never had any problems with this procedure, I do the same for ATI drivers, it is easier for me and leaves me the choice which version I will use, as I download there version and compile it myself I even have had problems with the iwl3945 (at the time it was not in the kernel), but yes it is more convenient to just yum it.