Re: smbldap installer on FC9

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:27 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 16:04 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> >> There is a nice smbldap install script over at: http://majen.net/smbldap/
> >>
> >> Thing is it is for FC5/4, Ubuntu, and K12LTSP 5/4.4.1....
> >>
> >> I want to run it on FC9 and I am not adept at scripts.
> >>
> >> I did find the 'yum install' line in distro_data.pm for the rpms needed
> >> for FC5, so I ran that and either the rpm was already installed or it
> >> was installed.  I did not get any errors about an rpm not existing.
> >>
> >> So now I want to give this script a run.  Of course it won't work out
> >> the gate, as I don't have the proper distro.
> >>
> >> Is any able to help me update this?  Or know of a newer/better script?
> >>
> > ----
> > am I missing something? It's in the standard repos.
> >
> > yum install smbldap-tools
> >
> > definitely there for F10 and I would expect for F9 too.
> Hi Craig,
>
> smbldap-tools is only part of it.  According to the script I need gcc as
> well, and a few others.
>

> Well I got that, but the script looks at your OS and doesn't want to run
> on FC9,or so it seems....
----
makes sense...I remember when David Trask was pounding the samba list
with a million questions and all I could think of was here was an
attempt to build a turnkey LDAP setup that operated from only a
particular view whose opinions I didn't wholeheartedly endorse so it's
not surprising to find that it has languished and broken in so short of
a time.

My recommendation is that if you are looking for an opinionated turnkey
LDAP authentication system, you use Windows Active Directory.

The alternative is to actually learn how LDAP works and then you can do
anything you want with it.

Craig