Re: Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Todd Denniston wrote, On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:14:16 -0500

> McGuffey, David C. wrote, On 01/12/2009 12:36 PM:

> > I almost hate to bring this topic up again because it was beaten to

> > death earlier.  However...I'm having a problem with NetworkManager

> > scribbling a bizarre netmask into my *SUPPOSEDLY* static address info

> > for eth0.

> > I get it configured, and it works for a while, then I end up with dns

> > lookup failures.  When I go to NetworkManager I find it has duplicated

> > the gateway address (192.168.1.1) into the netmask entry also.

> > Getting static addressing to work under NetworkManager has been nothing

> > short of a hair-pulling experience.  The folks working NetworkManager

> > need to understand that not *ALL* linux boxes will travel...some are

> > single-purpose boxes on networks that have a security policy that

> > mandates static addressing.  When one checks the static address button,

> > NetworkManager must absolutely stop scribbling in places it

> > shouldn't!!!!

> The responses I have seen to this problem in this list and the fedora-test

> list summarize as follows:

> 1) the *CURRENT* NM does not do a (non DHCP) static configuration very

> well or

> at all, but they are working on it for a future version, and occasionally

> DHCP

> and NM are fun.

> 2) if your computer does not roam and/or does not use wireless networks,

> then

> do the following UNTIL the static network version of NM is ready:

> service NetworkManager stop

> /sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off

> /sbin/chkconfig network on

> service network start

> system-config-network #configure as you

> #                 # always have in the past.

> reboot #if you're feeling frogy.

> 3) the biggest unfortunate thing about the above is that it may or may not

> be

> possible to configure a kickstart postscript to do 2 while installing on a

> mess of machines in an automated way.

> --

> Todd

Thanks.  I’ll give this a try later today when I get back to the lab.  The lab is small, and I’m not using kickstart.

Dave McGuffey

Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM

SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD