Re: Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

McGuffey, David C. wrote, On 01/12/2009 12:36 PM:
I almost hate to bring this topic up again because it was beaten to
death earlier.  However...I'm having a problem with NetworkManager
scribbling a bizarre netmask into my *SUPPOSEDLY* static address info
for eth0.

I get it configured, and it works for a while, then I end up with dns
lookup failures.  When I go to NetworkManager I find it has duplicated
the gateway address (192.168.1.1) into the netmask entry also.

Getting static addressing to work under NetworkManager has been nothing
short of a hair-pulling experience.  The folks working NetworkManager
need to understand that not *ALL* linux boxes will travel...some are
single-purpose boxes on networks that have a security policy that
mandates static addressing.  When one checks the static address button,
NetworkManager must absolutely stop scribbling in places it
shouldn't!!!!

The responses I have seen to this problem in this list and the fedora-test list summarize as follows:

1) the *CURRENT* NM does not do a (non DHCP) static configuration very well or at all, but they are working on it for a future version, and occasionally DHCP and NM are fun.

2) if your computer does not roam and/or does not use wireless networks, then do the following UNTIL the static network version of NM is ready:

service NetworkManager stop
/sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager off
/sbin/chkconfig network on
service network start
system-config-network #configure as you
#                 # always have in the past.
reboot #if you're feeling frogy.

3) the biggest unfortunate thing about the above is that it may or may not be possible to configure a kickstart postscript to do 2 while installing on a mess of machines in an automated way.

--
Todd Denniston