Re: MP3 playback in XMMS

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> It doesn't try to scan my entire hard disk to build its own database of my
> music (and piss me off in the 2-hour process), like Amarok.

This is a feature, you can easily browse all your music that way. And nobody
asked you to add your entire hard disk to your collection. ;-)

But you can also use Amarok without building a collection. It's just not the
way it's primarily designed to be used.

> It looks nice (with the "none" skin), unlike Amarok.

A pretty subjective statement... IMHO XMMS looks ugly.

> It doesn't try to build itself into system tray, when I close the window
> it closes the program, unlike Amarok.

This can be turned off in the preferences (a single checkbox).

> It doesn't bother me with a name of the song in the middle of the screen
> on every song change, unlike Amarok.

This too (it's called OSD and it's also a single checkbox to untick).

> and I don't know what is gtk1 widget set... :-)

The obsolete widget set which gives XMMS its outdated ugly look. :-)

        Kevin Kofler