Re: Why Fedora 10 still uses openssl pkg from 2007, 4 releases old?

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
rpm -q --whatrequires openssl

repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps openssl

Not only does rpm -q only mention deps from packages you have installed, it
also only checks deps on the package name, not on the library soname, which
most deps are.

So your question is not only hijacking a thread, but also stupid. (It's not
getting updated because it'd break the entire f***ing distro, duh!)

It would certainly require rebuilding all of the things which use the package. I'm not sure that "break the entire distro" has the same meaning as "be too much work."

It's not clear to me, and I would like to have some guideline on this, how upgrades really work in Fedora (as opposed to the "supported for a year" statement). It seems that some packages like the kernel get upgraded regularly for a year, while some get upgraded for six months until the next release, and others get bugfix versions without an upgrade, at any time in the year after the official release date.

If Fedora is a cutting edge release, how long after the release date should updates be supplied? Most of us are only about a month or six weeks into FC10, and I personally feel that it's early for the phrase "in fc11" to be used relative to existing features. I won't quote the source on that, because it may be something which was more or less private information, but it was not about something new, just an upgrade to something in fc9 and fc10.

As for the question of the original hijacker, I would say versions are just another "mine is bigger than yours" ego trip in many cases, but if the claim that Outlook works with FC7 and not FC10, then I think the term is "regression" and the poster has a point. I don't have a Windows environment to test the claims, but I don't hear people telling him that it's his config or anything. I have a case where I run FC9 and FC10 clients against a RH9 (yes, really) mail system, and it works.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>