Re: the ATI proprietary driver and F10

Dave Stevens wrote:
On Thursday 08 January 2009 02:50:45 pm Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Dave Stevens <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Try:
system-config-display --reconfig
I don't have a usable system so probably I can't do that now.
You can boot into runlevel 3 which will give you a console login prompt..
no X. login as root at that console and try that command. It will attempt
to start an X server with default configs as Fedora understands them. But
since the ATI script didnt create an xorg.conf file I dont hold high
expectations on this working.

-jef

Thanks Jef, but I could not figure out how to boot into runlevel 3. I know how to do this from a terminal prompt but could not get that far in the process. So I blew away the installation and reinstalled on top. Am now updating and configuring.

1. Press any key when the grub message is shown
2. Use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel you want to boot
3. Press "E"
4. Use the arrow keys to highlight the line starting with "kernel"
5. Press "E" again
5. Use the arrows to go to the end of that line
6. Tack on a " 3" (a space, then a 3...do NOT include the quote marks)
7. Press the "ENTER" key
8. Press "B" to boot it

The system will boot to run level 3 for this boot ONLY.  This isn't a
permanent change...it just affects the current boot.