Re: Single mouse click interpreted as a double click

On Thursday 08 January 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Wednesday 07 January 2009 22:43:00 Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> > I don't know about his, but I do know that I'm having some very odd
>> > mouse experiences.  Lately my mouse appears to often do a double-click
>> > when I'm pasting from the clip-board, so that 'Getting Started' comes
>> > out like 'GetGetting Startedting Started'.  It feels almost like the
>> > repeat setting of a keyboard being to quick to cut in.
>> >
>> > Anne

Ann, I've found that to be a sign that the switch in the mouse was not
properly soldered in, leaving a small space under it, which in turn means the
solder joint and the foil of the pad can be carried away from the circuit
board by a thou or 3 by the pressure of the switch being pushed fown into
solid contact with the pcb, and eventually either the copper foil breaks, or
there is a hairline crack in the solder.

The sequence then is that the switch closes with the down stroke, the joint is
pushed apart so its silently unclicked for the duration of the push, then
when the finger comes back off, the crack closes causing the 2nd click, and
finally the switch itself unclicks.  Effectively a double click in double
time.  New mouse time, or get out the controlled temp iron and re-solder it
around all the switches.  I like to use a silver bearing solder for that as
its much stronger physically than the usual eutectic blend.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)