Re: Mount usb drive with mount -a fails after f10 upgrade

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Joe W. Byers <ecjbosu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Mount count:              8
Maximum mount count:      1
Last checked:             Sat Jan  3 14:45:33 2009
Check interval:           15552000 (6 months)
Next check after:         Thu Jul  2 15:45:33 2009

Take a moment and review what those lines in the tune2fs output mean

the ext2/ext3 filesystem can be configured via tune2fs to require a
fsck check periodically in two ways.  One is mount count and the other
is time interval since last check. You have both ways configured. And
more importantly...the filesystem is configured to require a check
after ONE mount!

The system is doing exactly what the filesystem superblock is asking
it to do..do an fsck after each mount.  This is not what you want.

use the tune2fs  -c option and set the maximum mount count to
something sane or turn it off completely.

-jef

Jeff,

I never set this. I hooked this drive up in 2005 and have been using without any issues since until this upgrade. My server would reboot and notify me that this needed a check and I did it or did not. Never was a problem until this upgrade.

The only interesting thing with EL5 was the usb would not mount during the normal mounting sequence but give me an [Failure], then mount later on during the boot up. I never really worried about that because the usb drive was getting mounted automatically. Now it is not and that is was I need.

Joe