df hangs -- nfs related problem

I have a NFS client in which the df commands hangs. I have to manually
kill it to get back to the prompt.

The client had a nfs export mounted, but as of now the export is not
available to the client, and the client is trying to access it.
Is there a way to terminate the nfs mount on the client?
There are no messages in the log files pointing to this.

I know its a nfs problem because strace bails out when it tries
to access /mnt/nfs.

**command output trimmed for clarity.

% strace df -h
statfs64("/proc/fs/nfsd", 84, {f_type=0x6e667364, f_bsize=4096, f_blocks=0, \
f_bfree=0, f_bavail=0, f_files=0, f_ffree=0, f_fsid={0, 0},
f_namelen=255, f_frsize=4096}) = 0
statfs64("/mnt/nfs", 84,

The mtab shows the export
    nfsclient> cat /etc/mtab
    nfsserver:/stor1 /mnt/nfs nfs rw,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 0 0

The mount command also shows the relevant line.
   nfsclient> mount -l
   nfsserver:/stor1 on /mnt/nfs type nfs (rw,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Umount says the nfs export is busy --but there is nothing there.
   nfsclient> umount nfsserver:/stor1
   umount: /mnt/nfs: device is busy
   umount: /mnt/nfs: device is busy

Cannot see what processes (if any) are accessing nfsserver:/stor1 because
the lsof command hangs just like df.

Umount does not find anything either.
   nfsclient> umount /stor1
   umount: /stor1: not found

A cron job created a number of df processes over several days that I had
to kill manually on the nfsclient.

Does anyone have a tip about this? A web search did not yield much.

~af