FC10 Kernel PANIC ... Odd

	I did a clean FC10 install on a server today.  The installation
itself went without a hitch, the system rebooted and came back up.  I
logged in, admired the new graphics and then decided to run updates.

	When all the updates were done installing, I hit a restart only to
be presented with a kernel PANIC.  It won't boot.  And at the time, I
didn't have any means of capturing the message either.  It was very short,
a one liner at the top of the screen, something with ld.so...yaddi yaddi
yadda.

	Ok, this is why we have a rescue option, right?  So I booted from
the DVD, went into rescue mode and looked at what kernel was installed.
Much to my surprise, the latest kernel was installed (from the updates),
however it was the .i586 version.  Odd, this machine has never run an
i586 package that I can remember.  It's either an .i386 or an .i686, but
never .i586.  Could that have been the problem?  Hmm, let's try ...

	I force installed the .i686 version of the kernel and kernel-devel
packages and rebooted.  Tada!  It worked and came up beautifully.

	Inquiring minds want to know: why did the update install an .i586
version (when an .i686 version was available)?  The machine has a dual
core 3.4GHz Intel processor in it.  Through all of FC7, FC8, and FC9 I've
never had problems upgrading the kernel and have never seen it install an
.i586 ... till today.  And that failed miserably.

	Should it have been able to boot the .i586?

--
L | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.