Re: Virtualizing XP with dual boot FC10/XP

Agile Aspect wrote:
Robert L Cochran wrote:
I now have a virtual machine that runs Windows XP, however I am in
trouble with the Windows activation process because I can't (yet)
provide a valid product key code to the Microsoft activation server. The
installation CD is from Dell, I just bought a new laptop with a Dell
"Windows XP downgrade" and I need to ask Dell's support people how I'm
supposed to provide a valid product key for this. It may be that I have
to install Windows Vista first (because I have a Vista CD and product
key too) and then downgrade to XP, I don't know quite yet.
The valid product key for Windows on Dell laptops should be
on bottom side of the computer.

Just as a thought, I have a laptop with "XP pro" and Fedora on the two partitions which came from the factory, and of course a grub setup to boot one or the other. Should you have a similar setup, you might find this interesting:

As root:
  # create a COW image of the whole hard drive
  qemu-img create -b /dev/sda -f qcow2 disk_bitimage
  # and boot it
  qemu-kvm -m 700 -hda disk_bitimage

Then boot Windows... Note that the changes are only in Linux, and I have not remotely summoned the courage to try booting linux under this thing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>