Re: APC UPS

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 06:55:00PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
That is what I want to see -- far lighter weight batteries ...  >
... Lithium polymers would be great for this sort of application. They
should be linux-friendly, ...

First, appliances should be OS-independent; they should talk a "common
language", that doesn't care if it's on Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.

Secondly--as you'll continue to see me state in this post--the problem
is that everyone wants "cheapest possible".  That means they go for
things like lead acid--cheap, mature--and LCD on any drivers or
associated software.

As a result of the various posts in this thread, ...
<<snip>>

Essentially, batteries are batteries.  The vendors aren't going to go to
the immediate cost of custom "smart" batteris and support costs of a
specialized battery.

This still does not really meet my criterium of being very quick to
replace and instantly usable.

To meet that criterion, you essentially need to find a local battery
supplier who has either original vendor replacement batteries, or
acceptable aftermarket units designed for your UPS.  Given the economy
and the decline of bricks'n'sticks stores, good luck.

I wish there were a way to independently, accurately and easily test the
UPS itself ...
Having the ability to test the units, regardless of devices connected to
the UPS, is critical.

Again--the end users are demanding cheap.  They get cheap.

The APC units are still way too heavy and bulky. They are poorly
designed, being little more than batteries stuffed into a box that are
connected to circuit boards and 120v outlets.

Cheap.  See above.

The most depressing part of all of this is that companies producing
professional-quality units aren't rewarded, so they either die or turn
out low-end junk...as we're seeing.

You get what you pay for. If I had a really critical application I would look at Exide "double conversion" units, which handle a vast range of power problems which cheap units do not. I used some in NYC at the last 'Linux World' in the Javits Center where the house power had phase shifts (PF ranged from .85 to .86 or so with 20-40ns 1100v pulses) and the output side was just flat out clean. And with DC in a brownout you use only whatever battery it takes to make up the difference between available and needed power.

Not cheap, but $600 for a 650 is not break the bank, either, and they make big units to give your generator time to come up to speed. Disclamer: only a very satisfied customer.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>