Re: Upgrade Has Caused A Downgrade

Gene Poole wrote:

All,

I've just experienced one of the most unnerving situations. I've a custom built machine that WAS running the following:
       ECS GeForce 6100SM-M mother board
       AMD 64 X2 Dual core 5600+
       4GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       nVidia GT7300 PCIE 256MB video card
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 320 GB WD and 1 - 500GB Seagate
       550 watt Antec power supply
       Fedora 9 x86_64 with all of the latest patches

As my Xmas present I upgraded the machine to:
       Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 mother board
       AMD Phenom Quad core 9550
       8GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       Retained the video card from above
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 500 GB Seagate and 1 - 1TB Seagate
       850 watt Antec power supply

I attempted to install, from the same DVD used on the original machine, Fedora 9 x86_64 with 4 failures at just about the same place while installing packages. I used my i386 Fedora 9 DVD and all went well during the install so attempted to do a upgrade to x86_64 without luck. I did a test using my Fedora 8 x86_64 DVD and it installed perfectly. I then attempted to do a upgrade to Fedora 9 without any luck (it appeared to fail at about the same place). I then downloaded and burned another copy of the Fedora 9 x86_64 DVD, checked it and attempted to do another install and one again it failed at about the same place.

What could possibly be happening? I since reinstalled Fedora 8, but that has reached it's E-O-L. Should I just attempt to go to Fedora 10 x86_64? Should I have entered something in the boot parameters concerning the additional memory?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Gene Poole

a) When you say "upgrade", do you mean telling Anaconda to upgrade an existing installation? Anaconda doesn't have logic to handle migrating from i386 to x86_64, so it's not expected to work. Upgrading from F8 i386 to F9 i386 or F10 i386 generally should work. If you want to switch architectures, you need a fresh install.

b) You haven't given us any diagnostic information at all. F9 and F10 wouldn't have been released if x86_64 builds routinely failed to install, and there's nothing exotic about your hardware, so it's highly unlikely that anyone is going to immediately know what's wrong with your setup. Please at least give us an error message or something.

-- Chris