Re: ssh clarification needed

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Yup you are right - I just forgot you need to have the passphrase to start
> the agent usually....
>
> But if the key was generated without a passphrase then it would be a gift!!

Just a minor correction - You need the pass phrase to do anything
with a private key. You can use a private key directly, without
having ssh-agent running. It just means you have to enter the
passphrase every time you want to use the key.

There are ways to store the passphrase, and have it supplied to
something like ssh-agent for you automatically. I do not recommend
using something like gnome keyring on a laptop.

At least a good passphrase is easier to remember then a good password!

Mikkel