Re: APC UPS

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 18:55 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >> You do know that "not so darn heavy" probably means it's either not a
> >> lead-acid battery--and depending on the type, that brings its own
> >> problems--or it's an undersized battery.
> >>
> >> As I said, I've had bad results with TrippLite (pity, too--they're a
> >> local Chicago company, so I'd like to support them) and virtually
> >> all consumer-grade APC units.  The commercial APC units have been OK,
> >> if not great; battery life for any UPS is about three years, and they
> >> seem to survive that long.  They're too expensive for any significant
> >> run time, however; all you're getting for an affordable price is about
> >> 10-15 minutes of run-time on a full power outage, making them
> >> essentially
> >> surge/brownout protection and clean shutdown units.
> >>
> > I see several companies having breakthroughs in the ultracapacitor
> > field, I think that's the future of UPS. They charge fast, have vastly
> > longer service life, and are lighter than lead-acid. Last month EEstor
> > got a patent on a new unit they hope will be a power unit for an
> > electric car, but the patent makes it clear it can be downsized to UPS
> > sizes. And in cases where power comes and goes fast charge time is a
> > bonus.
> >
> > Also, both plug power and MTI are making small fuel cells for the
> > military, room for a new technology there when cost comes down.
> >
> > I agree that current UPS provides time for a short operation followed
> > by a clean shutdown, but that's not a bad thing compared to falling
> > over hard.
> That is what I want to see -- far lighter weight batteries which are
> very low-bulk, quick to recharge, packing more power than lead-acid
> batteries, and having a very long service life. Lithium polymers would
> be great for this sort of application. They should be linux-friendly,
> with protection circuits that can be referenced by existing linux
> applications.
>
> As a result of the various posts in this thread, I extracted the
> APC-branded RBC32 battery cartridge from one of my dead APC model BX800
> units. I searched online for a replacement battery cartridge. The
> "cartridge" is simply two 7.2 aH batteries connected together
> electrically with F2 connectors and physically with something similar to
> packaging tape. I was able to disassemble the batteries easily by
> cutting the tape which binds the units together using a razor blade and
> then pulling the F2 connectors off the battery terminals. APC itself
> charges USD $79.99 for a new cartridge. After searching online, I
> decided to go the instant-gratification route and buy two, 7.5 aH Werker
> brand batteries from a Batteries Plus store (
> http://www.batteriesplus.com ) about 20 miles away. The young man there
> was very helpful, he put together a new cartridge using the Werker
> batteries and some clear packaging tape. He tested the output of the
> batteries to confirm it was correct.

> [...]
----
yum install apcupsd

configure /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf for your cable type (documentation
at apcupsd.sourceforge.net if you can't figure it out from the comments
in the conf file)

chkconfig apcupsd on
service apcupsd start
service apcupsd status

If you have webmin, install the apcupsd 3rd party module, change
configuration to point to the cgi files in /var/www/cgi-bin

Craig