Re: sound stops working on F10

Mail Lists wrote:
  Sound is a bit quirky - sometimes i hear things sometimes I dont.

  Now it has stopped working - a reboot fixes it. I do see this in the
logs ...

   Jan  2 14:46:02 me pulseaudio[3227]: module-alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us
up to write new d
ata to the device, but there was actually nothing to write! Most likely
this is an ALSA
driver bug. Please report this issue to the PulseAudio developers.

  Running F10, gnome, fully updated.

  Any suggestions how to make it come back without rebooting ??

   thanks!

There are several apps, and used to be several more, that still do not play nice with pulseaudio.

For me, pidgin was the biggest culprit until a recent update.

What happened for me, was that apps that professed support for pulseaudio, such as amarok, would spin and cause the pulseaudio daemon to die at some random beep from pidgin. Once the deamon died, CPU usage returned to normal, but no more sound.

Restarting pulseaudio always fixed it, but the occurrence was random; 5 minutes; two days?

Since the update to pidgin-2.5.2-6.fc10.x86_64, those have stopped. However, about the same time, we got an upgrade to amarok that I could not tolerate. I have since switched to rhythmbox, but it pauses at virtually all focus changes into or out of firefox and thunderbird. I suspect that compiz is still struggling with those two apps, as they are difficult to move around the screen for me.

But in any case, as Frank Cox has pointed out, the pulseaudio daemon is likely your issue, and can be restarted.

Good Luck!