Re: Catch-22 : curiouser and curiouser -- but better

Beartooth wrote:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:25:26 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

One answer, the PAE kernel is used for 32 bit operation with 4GB or more
of ram. Lets you see the whole memory.

Well, I looked at both the system-monitor and lshw-gui -- and got very different answers. One tells me I have 2.8 GB of (unspecified) "memory," while the other tells me 4 GB of "system memory," with two entries for RAM, neither of which says (in a form I can read, at least) how much. One just says 32; the other gives "widths" of 64 for the cpu, and 32 for each of its RAMs.

My guess is that I might as well remove the PAE -- if I could, without initiating yet another catastrophe; I did big damage a few years by removing kernels wrong somehow. Probably better to let well enough alone -- especially if never using either eventually gets them expired ....

If only more people would realize that! (I also like the version that says something like "Never attribute to malevolence what can be explained by mere stupidity" -- and Schiller's "Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens." (In Asimov's translation, "Against stupidity the Gods themselves contend in vain."))

If you want to know what the system can use, just type "free" and look at the total memory.

And not "stupidity," but rather "incompetence." They are not the same.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>