Re: Ipod, what Fedora App. will sync with.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:42:02 +1930, Patrick wrote:

> >> $ ldd /usr/bin/amarok|egrep gpod\|mtp
> >> $
> >
> > Try again with
> >
> >  libamarok_collection-ipodcollection.so
> >  libamarok_collection-mtpcollection.so
>
> What do you mean? The /usr/bin/amarok binary contains no library
> references to anything with gpod, or ipod, or mtp in its name. Once
> more with feeling:
>
> $ ldd /usr/bin/amarok|egrep gpod\|ipod\|mtp
> $ rpm -q amarok
> amarok-2.0-2.fc10.x86_64
> $ rpm -ql amarok|egrep gpod\|ipod\|mtp
> /usr/lib64/kde4/libamarok_collection-ipodcollection.so
> /usr/lib64/kde4/libamarok_collection-mtpcollection.so
> /usr/share/kde4/services/amarok_collection-ipodcollection.desktop
> /usr/share/kde4/services/amarok_collection-mtpcollection.desktop
> $
>
> IOW the package does contain this stuff, but the executable doesn't
> refer to it.

ldd /usr/bin/amarok  is insufficient if you want to prove that.
Examine libamaroklib.so.1.0.0, its symbols and what it is linked with.
If you don't want to use objdump and similar, even using "strings"
reveals something. It may be necessary to skim over the source code
to find out how and when these plugins are activated.