Re: To turn Plymouth off?

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:28:19 -0700,
  don fisher <hdf3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How can one disable Plymouth? I prefer to see the boot sequence. I
> recently had a "blue screen of death" for about 10 minutes while my
> disks were doing a mount limit forced fsck. Beauty is in the eye of the
> beholder:-)

You can't turn it off. However you can change things so that you see
console output during the boot. Remove 'quiet' and 'rhgb' from the kernel
entries in /boot/grub/grub.conf .

> Something also changed between F9 and F10 with upstart. In F9 I was able
> to comment out the lines in /etc/event.d/prefdm associated with:
>
> exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> and the system would drop through to a text interface. Now it hangs.

Are you sure? Did you try other consoles besides vt1? Between F9 and F10
the X console moved to vt1 from vt7. If X isn't running but you are in run
level 5, I don't think vt1 will be usable.

> What is the best way to avoid using prefdm? I do not mind typing startx.

Maybe you want to boot in run level 3? If so you can add '3' to the kernel
paramters while you are editing grub.conf. It isn't clear what you are
really trying to do though, so it may be that switching to run level 3
is not the correct answer.