Re: Catch-22 : wide monitor

Kam Leo wrote:
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
       Today I decided to tackle my main machine. Anaconda launches --
but before it starts asking about language, keyboard, etc, I get the
dread "signal out of range; set to 1680x1050". But it has never ever yet
let me get to the normal means of resetting the display. All I can do is
hit the reset button, and start over.

       I know there is some slick trick for getting around this, which
always seems adequate when I recall or reconstruct it; but I don't recall
now

I would do the following:

At the installation screen type "linux text" to perform your installation.

Don't forget to install "system-config-display". It is not installed by default.
Given what you describe I would first try "linux vga=792" or some other vesa mode you like for your hardware. If that works but encounters trouble once the installation GUI fires up try adding the "vnc" option too and watch for it to tell you what its address and screen are to access the installation from another machine using vncviewer.

Chris

--
  "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
  they shall never sit in" - Greek Proverb