Re: is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> We went a few rounds about this several months ago. I said at the time
> that Fedora is a Gnome platform that also supports KDE, but that
> seemed to bother some people (to be clear: I'm a KDE user myself).
>
> However even if this is the case with Fedora, it doesn't mean that
> Gnome has "won" in any meaningful sense. There are several popular
> distros out there that one could call "KDE based but also supporting
> Gnome", Suse being the most obvious example.

As the person that kicked off this little sub-thread, let me chime in
and agree with Patrick's statement.  I never said (nor did I mean to
imply) that there is anything wrong with Fedora's "GNOME-centricity".

The point I was trying to make is that KDE users have often had a some-
what more difficult time getting everything to work smoothly than have
GNOME users.  This tends to show up in areas like fonts and colors in
GTK+ applications and the integration of the desktop with lower-level
hardware-related stuff.

In the past, I accepted these inconveniences, because I found KDE to be
a more productive environment.  With the EOL of KDE 3, that is decidedly
no longer the case (for me).  Why then, should I continue to accept the
negative aspects of running KDE on Fedora when the positive aspects no
longer exist?

As a final point, let me say that I absolutely do not blame any of the
Fedora developers, the KDE SIG, etc., for this situation.  From my
perspective, this is entirely the fault of the KDE developers who
decided it is OK to remove longstanding functionality because plasmoids
(whatever they are) are going to be really cool someday.