Re: F10 Strange Audio Errors

On Friday 26 December 2008 18:43, Peter Langfelder wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Sean Bruno <sean.bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I used to experience similar skipping and hesitating from Amarok
> >> 1.4... until I removed PulseAudio. Now amarok plays smoothly.
> >>
> >> Peter
> >
> > I assume that requires more than just stopping the pulse audio demon?
> >
> > Sean
>
> I removed pulse audio using the standard package kit add/remove
> software and I think I restarted the system. I seem to vaguely
> remember that just stopping the pulse audio daemon wasn't enough, but
> I may be wrong on this.
>
> Peter

I disabled it on F8, and F9, by a, yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio . If you
are using KDE, this will also remove the kde-settings-pulseaudio package. I f
you play games that use SDL, add this line below to /home/user/.bashrc, which
will remove the hack that SDL programs needed to use pulseaudio.

unset SDL_AUDIODRIVER

By doing the above, you should now be in the happy situation of now having
your audio apps using alsa directly again.

Nigel.

btw. No disrespect to Lennart Poetering, author of Pulseaudio. Some folks love
it, others just disable it, as they have problems with it. All about having
the freedom to choose I suppose.