Re: awesfx missing - can't load soundfonts

> Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > That is bs Michael.  There are a kajillion of those cards in the field. I
> > > have an Audigy2 value myself, and have no intention of going back to a 16
> > > bit card with no headroom.
> > >

> > Well, I just pointed to the ticket where people killed this pkg.
> > Talk to them if you believe they've done a mistake.
> >

> Hi Michael.
>
> I have seen packages dropped from Fedora before now. Alsaplayer, as an
> example. But in that case there were other players available, but no
> consolation to folks that used, and liked Alsaplayer.
>
> In the case of the awesfx package, it is the only one available to load .sf2
> soundfonts for those users that have an audigy card (emu10k1), including
> myself.
>
> I do find the statement below by Martin Stransky below, a bit over the top,
> and am at a loss as to how he has concluded that awesfx is obsolete, and no
> longer needed.
>

> Comment #9 From  Martin Stransky  2008-04-09 14:54:36 EDT  -------
>
> I think we can remove the awesfx package from distro. It's quite obsolete
> now...
>

> Just out of interest I fired up my Ubuntu 8.10 install, which is using the
> 2.6.27-7-generic kernel, and awesfx is available, and have just installed it
> with no problems. I can't try loading a soundfont, as my audigy2 soundblaster
> card (emu10k1) is on a different machine, but don't see any problems in doing
> so.
>
> If Ubuntu can continue to provide the awesfx package on their latest release
> (Intrepid Ibex 8.10), it is a bit puzzling why Fedora have decided to remove
> it, when so many folks (Gene included), are still using audigy (emu10k1)
> soundcards, which are well supported by Alsa.
>
> Just some comments from a Fedora user.
>
> Nigel.

I have tested the tools on an x86_64 Ubuntu 8.10 install, and it functions flawlessly.

I've also added a refuting comment to that redhat bug. I would be interested in how exactly one can call a functionally-critical application obsolete when it has no replacement, unless we were also planning on killing the emu10k kernel support as well.

I would offer to maintain that package, but I'm not a developer. I tried to compile the software myself, but some GCC 4.x incompatibilities (I think?) and missing includes shot me down.

Links:
------
[1] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/405131

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=314589&topic_id=65787&forum=10#forumpost314589