X11 crash on ATI X1400: how to find out what's the problem?

Hi all,

sorry if this has been answered, I didn't find the answer online. I'm
experiencing intermittent X server crashes when running applications
such as open office on my F10 thinkpad T60 with ATI X1400 card,
running the newest updates etc with the Xorg ati driver. The crash
causes  me to be logged out, X server restarts and I can login again.
If I shut down instead of logging in, I can see some error messages on
the shutdown console, but they scroll up too fast for me to remember
anything.

My xorg.conf file contains the following:

Section "Device"
    Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon X1400"
    Driver          "radeon"
    Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
    Option          "DynamicClocks"   "on"
EndSection

plus some preferred mode and screen size specification for a dual head
display. The X server is quite slow and tends to take up a lot of CPU.

My question is which log file do I look into to find out what the
error is? /var/log/Xorg.0.log contains lots of information but no
obvious errors or meaningful warnings. Anything I should
enable/disable in the xorg.conf file? Pointers to up-to-date
information on how to get things working reliably? And if I could get
a functioning suspend/resume, that would be fantastic :( (btw,
suspend/resume works well with F9 live CD...)

Thanks a lot,

Peter