Re: backup of my / filesystem

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

>> > I backup our system at work (500GB) using rsync. Our New York office
>> > runs rsync against my backup volume. Over the years I have found rsync
>> > to be a very reliable tool.

>> I just got BackupPC to work on my system, after hours of torture.
>> (Is this the worst documented Linux application?)
>> Effectively, BackupPC is a GUI front-end to rsync.
>> Once set up it seems quite impressive to me.

> Every time I get the chance to get into BackupPC I run out of time
> trying to get a satisfactory starting point.  I agree with you about the
> documentation.  Have you uncovered a good tutorial for it?

No, I looked at 3 tutorials:
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC>
<http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_backuppc>
<http://linuxwave.blogspot.com/2008/08/installing-backuppc-in-centos-5.html>
But I didn't think any of them was very good;
I just put together bits from each of them.

In my case, the main problem seemed to be in setting up SSH,
exchanging keys between backuppc on the server
and root on the client.

However, I'm not sure I got everything right;
I was quite surprized when it started working perfectly!

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net