Re: How to Restart the service sshd in Fedora Linux System ?

Directory /etc/ssh - should be drwxr-xr-x. The world must have the
rights to read and enter the directory but not write to it.

Most of the files should be -rw-------. Only root can read or write
them. None should have x permission. And ssh_config and the .pub
files should be -rw-r--r--.

Nobody but root should be able to write to that directory under any
circumstance or your system is open to exploitation.

Each user ~/.ssh directory should be drwxr-xr-x. Each file should be
-rw-r--r--. (This is probably wrong. The directory probably should be
drwx------ and the files should be -rw-------. But under RedHat and
Fedora home directories are drwx------, so people who do not belong
can't get to the directory in the first place.

{^_^}
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Stevens" <ricks@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 2008, December 23 10:27

Jyotishmaan Ray wrote:
Please tell me whose permissions should be 700, please name the files whose permissions I must set to 700, and also let me know if anuthing lese has to be done in order to execute the ssh command.

My set up is as follows:

The /etc/ssh directory is owned by root, group of root and have 755
permissions (rwxrw-rw-).  The files IN /etc/ssh are all be owned by
root, group of root with 500 permissions (rw-------) EXCEPT ssh_config
and any "*.pub" files.  Those have 544 permissions (rw-r--r--).

In _your_ home directory, the .ssh directory is owned by you with your
group and have 700 permissions (rwx------).  The files in it should
be owned by you with your group and have 500 permissions (rw-------)
except any "*.pub" files, which can have 544 permissions (rw-r--r--).

Really, since the directory can only be read by you, all files could be
544 (rw-r--r--).  ssh really is worried about someone other than you
writing to those files.